1. Disable App Notifications quickly from status bar
2. Set Different Lock screen Wallpaper Every day: Daily lock screen
It will be quite boring to see to the same wallpaper on your lock screen. Daily Lock screen feature Beautifies your lock screen with a new wallpaper every day. Xiaomi has a collection of beautiful wallpapers specially licenced for this feature. You cannot only get these wallpapers through this feature.
To Enable Daily Lock Screen Go to Settings > Wallpaper > Choose Wallpaper > Daily Lock Screen
Additionally You can also Setup Baby album and Set your Baby photos as Daily lock screen. You can read the complete guide on this from this forum post.
3. Group Service Messages and Ads: Smart SMS Filter
MIUI 7’s Smart SMS filter filters all your SMS and groups all the Service, Advertisement and spam messages under Notifications folder, so you can easily find the real SMS that matters to you.
To Enable Smart SMS Filter:
- Open Messaging app and Long press on Recent apps key (≡) for a second and you’ll see a settings screen.
- Now here Enable the option Group Carrier Messages.
4. Copy One-Time Passwords instantly: Quick OTP
No more trouble now, Quick OTP feature is here.
So in MIUI 7, whenever you receive an OTP, you will be displayed a floating notification the OTP is displayed in different color and an option Copy OTP on the right. So just tap on Copy OTP and paste it without the need to move from your current screen.
Quick OTP is enabled by default. In case if it is disabled on your device, you can turn it ON:
Go to Messaging > Long-press on Recent apps key > Click on Check SMS for OTP
5. Use Mobile easily with Larger text: XXL text
The XXL text is here. Xiaomi previously had only XL text. The new XXL text feature increases text size to Extra, Extra large without disturbing the user interface. Xiaomi built XXL text feature in the way that it doesn’t make the overall UI dirty.
To switch to XXL text Go to Settings > Text Size > Slide to XXL. You can also see the live preview of home screen by swiping to left.
6. Restrict you Kid from accessing certain apps: Child Mode
Whatever may be the reason, you just have to give your smartphone to your kid but want to permit to use only certain apps. So you want a specialised Child mode.
Once you turn-on child mode and lend it to your kid, he/she can only access those apps you allowed them to and nothing else.
To use child mode:
- Set a password or pattern for lock screen by going to Settings > Lock screen.
- Now Go to Settings > Child mode > Click on Child mode.
- Select which apps you want to allow and go back to home and lend to your kid.
To exit from Child mode, click on the cross button and enter your lock-screen Pattern or password.
- ALSO READ – How to use Lite Mode in MIUI 7
7. Automatically Switch to Do Not Disturb Mode
Do not disturb mode which keeps you in peace by setting all notifications off was already made available in MIUI 6. But in MIUI 7 it got even clever.
In MIUI 7 you can schedule Do Not Disturb mode for a specific time. You can also link it with your Mi Band, so that it can switch to DND mode automatically when you are sleeping.
To Schedule Do Not Disturb mode:
- Turn on DND (Settings > Do Not Disturb or from Quick toggles).
- To schedule Go to Settings > Do Not Disturb > Set Time.
- Here you can set time for DND mode (or) If you have a Mi band linked with your Xiaomi device you can turn-on Mi Band option and the device automatically goes into DND mode during your sleeping cycle.
8. Reduce Mobile Data consumption with Data Saver
So here comes the Last but most valuable MIUI 7 tip, the Data saver. If you live in a location using Mobile Internet is like living in hell, this tip could be a life saver. The Data saver which is powered by Opera Max, once enabled serves all the data through Opera server and compresses it. It helps you Browse the internet faster and saves your Mobile Data as well Wi-Fi by upto 50%.
To Enable Data saver Go to Security app > Data Usage > Data Saver
This data saver works with all apps. You can also enable data saver for other apps, and also watch YouTube videos faster. This feature as of now (V 5.9.16) available only in Chinese ROM, will be made available in Global ROM soon.
UPDATE: The Data saver option which was not there in previous versions of MIUI 7 Global Beta ROM is now made available in latest update MIUI 5.10.15
So these are some of the useful tips to get things done quickly on the new MIUI 7.
But that’s not all, Its your turn now. If you have any other tips which I may have missed in this post, please share it with us through comments below.
And do subscribe for the newsletter to get latest updates.