“Two Factor Authentication or Two-Step Verification is a feature that adds additional security to your Online account. When this feature is enabled, you have to enter your a regular Password and an additional Verification code sent to your mobile.”And this why people feel it complex to use. Looking up a code on your phone and typing it on your computer seems way more complicated to most people, even though its worth that little effort.
But Wait!! I have a good news for you. You no more have to enter any verification codes to sign in when using 2 Step verification.
Presenting Google Prompt, an Easy way to sign to your 2-step verification enabled google account, with just a Single tap on your Phone.
How Google Prompt works?Normally, if you have 2 Step verification enabled, when you sign in to your Google account, you have to enter a Username, Password and a Verification code sent to your registered Mobile number or Google Authenticator app.
But, with Google Prompt, you have to enter Username and Password as usual, but instead of entering a verification code, you have tap Yes in the confirmation popup that appears on your smartphone.
Signing-in Faster with Google PromptIt is not very different from how you regularly log in to your account, but it's simpler at one step.
You just enter the Username and Password as usual, but instead of entering a verification code, you simply tap yes on your Phone. Isn’t that simple.
Steps to Setup Google PromptBefore we setup Google Prompt, please make sure you have following things:
- Obviously, Two-step verification should be enabled on your Google Account. If you aren’t already using, here is the guide to Setup 2 Step verification.
- If you are using an Android Phone, Update Google Play services to the latest version.
If you are an iPhone user, install the latest version of Google app.
- Setup Screen lock for your Android device or Touch ID in case of iPhone. Not Mandatory for setup, but still necessary for security.
Setup Google Prompt with AndroidAssuming that you already enabled 2-step verification on your google account and updated google play services:
- Sign into your Google account and Goto Account Security settings > 2-Step Verification (under Password & sign-in method section). Enter Password if prompted.
- Now in 2-step verification page, scroll down and Click on Add Phone under Google Prompt option.
- Then Click on Get Started. Now it will show a list of devices linked to your Google account. Choose a device from the drop down list and Click on Next. (Make sure the phone is connected to the internet)
- Now grab your phone, Unlock it and Tap on Yes in the confirmation dialog that appears.
Setup Google Prompt with iPhone/iOSAs Apple devices don't come Google apps by default, you have to install the Google app before we get started. This is also applicable for some Chinese android phones Xiaomi (MIUI china) which doesn’t come with Google bundled with it.
- Make sure 2-Step verification is enabled on your account.
- Install and open Google app on you iPhone/iPad and Sign in & setup with your Google account.
- Now same as mentioned above go to 2-Step Verification page on your computer, click on Add phone below Google Prompt option.
- Select your iPhone/iPad from the dropdown list and Click Next.
- Unlock you iPhone, open Google app and Tap Yes for confirmation.
Wait! here is an adviceDo remember that Google Prompt works only when your mobile is connected to the internet. Else it will switch back to other options.
So, its better you setup Google Authenticator which works without any sorts of network.
Google prompt is truly very beneficial and I am sure most people will start using 2-step verification.
I have to say it once again, if you want to protect your google account, you should enable 2 Step Authentication.