But if you are don't know about two-step verification, let me explain you about it in simple words:
What is 2-Step verification or two factor authentication?2-step verification is an option that adds an extra layer of security to your account. To be simple, when you login you have to enter your Username, Password. But if you enabled two-step verification, whenever you login from a new device you have to additionally enter a One-time password along with username and password. If you haven't already setup 2-step verification, you can refer this guide on how to setup 2-step verification and authenticator app (Because it's really very important)
You can get this one-time password either through an SMS or through authenticator app (Which we will be talking about).
In this post, we will be discussing 5 Reasons why you should use Google authenticator app right from this moment over other available options like SMS and printable Backup codes.
1. It's More Secure
- Reason #1: It works inside a secure box. Receiving verification codes through SMS is not as secure as using the authenticator. As many of the apps on your device may have permission to access your SMS and bad apps can see your codes. And the same with backup codes that you print on paper are prone to be seen by someone.
Unlike SMS option and backup codes, Google authenticator app works independently and inside a box so no other apps can see your codes and no person can see them as long as your device is secure.
- Reason #2: New code every 60 seconds. The code you receive through SMS generally is valid for about 30 minutes and the backup codes you generate work for several days. So these codes may be stolen and it would be serious threat for your account.
But Google authenticator uses the TOTP (Time-based One-Time Password) algorithm and gives a new code every 60 seconds, so each code expires in just 60 seconds which make it a secure option to generate codes for 2-step verification.
2. It Works without Internet and Network coverage
3. Multiple Accounts in One Place
4. It is EASY to use
5. And You can use it with Non-Google Websites
Google Authenticator app is available on Android and IOS. If you are using Windows phone, you can use Microsoft authenticator.