And another important thing to note is that Cortana is also integrated with Edge browserowser. Which is a Quick and handy feature to get information instantly inside this browser without performing an internet search for it.
In this article, you’ll learn how to Enable Cortana on Windows 10 when you live outside the US and on Edge browser. And you'll also learn different ways to use it get instant information both inside and outside Edge browser.
Enable Cortana in Edge Browser (Any region), Windows 10
- Change the location to United states – So as Cortana is officially available only to United states, we have to change the system Language and Location to United states.
Just navigate to Start menu > Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language
Now select United states under Country or region and set the default language to English (United states) under Languages.
- Turn-On Cortana- Once you change the location it gets activated automatically. Else search for Cortana in the start menu and click on Cortana & search settings.
Now here click on toggle button to Turn-on Cortana, then follow the on-screen instructions.
Now You have successfully enabled Cortana for system.If you have not already setup your Microsoft account (outlook account) with you PC/ Laptop, then you will be prompted to sign-in to your account at this point. Enter you email and password and click on next.
How to use Cortana in Edge browserCortana can assist you in many aspects more than a real personal assistant and it is really of great use to have it integrated with Edge browser. Here are 3 ways in which it can assist you outside and inside Edge browser.
1. Say “Hey, Cortana” and ask anythingJust as you say “OK Google” in Google now, you can call Cortana with a voice command “Hey, Cortana”. And then ask her anything you want.
For an instance lets call “Hey, Cortana” and ask “What’s the weather today”. It then gives us information about weather like Temperature, Humidity etc.,
You can also search the internet with it. Just say Hey, Cortana followed by your Search query.
Cortana then opens your default web browser and searches for it on Bing Search engine.
Alternatively you can also do these things through text commands, in case if you don’t have a microphone with you.
2. Type in Url bar and get instant InformationThe integration of Cortana with Edge browser made it even easier to find information instantly. As you have already enabled Cortana for the browser, you can now use cortana even inside it.
So Inside Edge browser, you can instantly get information about things like Weather, Stock value, Live Scores etc., as you type it in Url / Search bar.
For an instance, if you want to find your local weather condition just type the word Weather in Url bar and then you will see Temperature and weather condition in drop-down box without need of performing a search for it.
It is not all. You can also get info about many things like
- Definition of words (Ex: Define Computing)
- Time in various locations (Ex: Time in India)
- Stock Value (Ex: FB, GOOG, PEP )
- Simple Math calculations (Ex: 5/2.3)
- Conversions (Ex: 1 Dollar to Rupee, 175m to km)
- Live score, Small trivia questions etc.
3. Ask Cortana with right-click on a wordThere is another way to use Cortana inside Edge browser to get some detailed information about a Word, a Company or anything.
When you are searching for anything the internet, reading something what if you don’t understand a particular term.
Don’t worry just Select the word > Right-click on it > click on Ask Cortana.
Final words…….The introduction of Cortana to Desktop devices is really going to be very beneficial for both users to find information quickly. And also for Microsoft to take it to next level to compete more effectively with other virtual assistant software like Siri and Google Now.
So what do you feel about the introduction of Cortana to Desktop devices? Is it helpful? Are you facing any problems?
Please share your opinions about this post in the Comments section below. And if you find this article helpful do share it with your friends on social media.